Did you know that the unit of measurement for a computer mouse’s movement is called a mickey?
One mickey is about 1/200th of an inch, or 125 microns – around the thickness of a piece of standard computer paper. Mouse precision was once commonly measured in mickeys-per-inch or mickeys-per-second.
With the rise of laser mice and digital pointing devices, using DPI to measure speed and precision became more common.
Of course, mouse precision is just one thing to consider when picking out a new computer mouse.
Digital mice mean more buttons and functionality all around. It can also mean more time spent comparing features to discover the best computer mouse for you.
If you’re working from home and in need of a new mouse, you’ve got options. Read on for some ideas about what might work best for you. We’ve got a few pointers for everyone.
Our Top 5 Contenders for Best Computer Mouse for Working from Home
When it comes to peripherals and office essentials, best is often subjective. What’s best for you depends on a few things including the type of work you do and your personal work style. We’ve rounded up five of our most practical and feature-rich devices to give you a sense of what sort of computer mouse will best aid your remote employment. In no particular order.
1. Pro Fit® Ergo Vertical Wireless Mouse
Got a click-intensive job? Try the Pro Fit® Ergo vertical wireless mouse.
This ergonomic mouse sports a contoured shape and 46.7-degree slope to keep your hand in a neutral position and thus eliminates the soft tissue compression, known to be one cause of carpal tunnel syndrome. It’ll feel like shaking hands with your mouse.
It even comes with an extended lip to support your pinky finger and the muscles in your hand.
Why we love it:
- It’s plug and play: You’ve got better things to do than fiddle with hardware.
- Six-button design: Comfort marries functionality with a scroll wheel plus DPI buttons to change scrolling speed.
- Nano receiver storage: Take your mouse with you wherever you work without worrying about losing your receiver.
- Efficient power usage: One AA battery lasts up to a year. The mouse will even tell you via flashing red light when it’s almost time to replace the battery.
- Ergonomist-approved: A 2019 study done by independent ergonomists rated our vertical mouse as the most comfortable mouse on the market.
2. Pro Fit® Bluetooth® Mobile Mouse
If you’re on the go a lot, the Pro Fit® Bluetooth® mobile mouse is an easy, convenient choice.
A high-definition laser gives you precise pointing, while Bluetooth® technology gets you up and scrolling in seconds. It has a scroll wheel, an automatic power-off feature, and is compatible with a wide range of operating systems.
A Bluetooth® mobile mouse is great when:
- You’ve got a thin laptop: Chromebooks™ and Ultrabooks™ are super popular, but they achieve their thinness by eliminating things like CD-ROMS and many ports. When you’ve got limited USB ports, a Bluetooth® mouse makes sure they stay free for other accessories.
- You’re ambidextrous: Use a mouse with your left hand? The symmetrical design lets you switch to whichever side of the brain you’re feeling.
- You don’t want extras: Sometimes you need nine buttons with 36 possible combinations – sometimes you just want to keep it simple. With this mouse, you can embrace functionality over frills and keep it simple, smarty.
3. Pro Fit® Ergo Wired Mouse
The wireless mouse has been around since 1991, but wired mice remain a staple everywhere for a reason. Even if you’re working at home, you might enjoy the ultra-stable connectivity and never needing to change the batteries.
The Pro Fit® Ergo wired mouse provides both of those benefits, plus more. With an ergonomist-approved design, you’ll enjoy optimized pointing and clicking when reliability matters most.
We’re huge fans of the Pro Fit® Ergo wired mouse because of its:
- Enhanced control settings: There are FOUR DPI settings so you can find the perfect sensitivity and precision for your cursor. There are also FIVE buttons for better navigation and productivity.
- Plug-and-play USB connection: Plug it in and get to work. That’s especially great when you switch between computers a lot.
- Hand alignment features: The sloped design takes the pressure off the bottom of your wrist and makes it easier to enjoy five-finger productivity with convenient button placement.
4. Pro Fit® Mobile Retractable Mouse
Maybe you want a wired mouse, but you don’t want to deal with the wire… we’ve got you covered. The Pro Fit® mobile retractable mouse gives you the best of both worlds.
The retractable USB cable stores neatly inside the mouse when you’re on the move, then gives you the plug-and-play reliability of a wired mouse when you need it. That makes it extra convenient when you travel and need something reliable but easy to pack.
Try the Pro Fit® mobile retractable mouse if you:
- Need a simple, practical mouse solution: With simple controls and a compact design, you’ll have accurate pointing power anywhere.
- Prefer an older Windows operating system: Windows 7 and even XP remain popular around the world, running on hundreds of millions of machines. This mouse works with them just fine.
5. Mouse for Life – Wireless and Wired Options
The Mouse for Life – available in wireless or wired flavors – is the One Mouse to Rule Them All. Sleek, simple, and utterly no-nonsense, it’s what we reach for when we need something that will get our job done – and let us keep getting our job done. Forever.
The Mouse for Life is designed to last, but that’s just one of our favorite things about it. We also love the:
- Silent clicking: Whether you’re working in a quiet location or hate the sound of a click, the Mouse for Life makes sure that the only things you hear are your thoughts.
- 1000 DPI sensor: The high-definition optical sensor means smooth movements and near-perfect accuracy for optimal performance.
- Plug-and-play installation: A wired, or wireless, USB receiver gets you the powers of a Mouse for Life in under 30 seconds.
- Five-year limited warranty: The average lifespan of a computer mouse is around three years. Our warranty, and the Mouse for Life’s natural life expectancy, exceeds that.
Let Kensington Point You in the Right Direction
What’s the best computer mouse for working from home? The one that gives you the features you need while letting you deploy them comfortably to maximize your productivity. From multi-button controllers to productivity-maximizing minimalism, we’ve shown you five of our favorite computer mice that we think you’ll find effective in your home office.
Browse our entire computer mouse collection and find your ideal fit now.