Making Selection, Set-Up and Power-Up Easier for the Consumer
Kensington Computer Products Group, a worldwide leader in mobile computing accessories, today announced four additions to its popular "Power it" line of adapters for laptop computers and mobile devices. Three new laptop adapters and an auto power adapter that can be used with all leading mobile devices demonstrate Kensington's ongoing commitment to meeting the power needs of the mobile professional with solutions that are simple, compatible and reliable. The company is also announcing 11 USB Power Tips for powering and charging top-selling mobile and smartphones and MP3 players, including the iPod®.
"These new products really cater to the consumer's power needs. Based on our user research, we know that consumers are often overwhelmed by the selection process," said Nica Graziotto, Senior Global Product Manager, Kensington. "Technical 'power language' is not easily understood; therefore, it can be challenging for consumers to identify which power accessory is right for them. This new product line is a direct result of our determination to keep it simple for consumers. We are announcing simple, compatible and reliable power solutions that work right out of the box and guarantee compatibility with your laptop."
Kensington: Simplifying the Purchasing Process
The new laptop power adapters are offered in two versions: for wall and wall/auto/air usage. "These laptop power adapters include color-coded laptop tips that make set-up simple," Graziotto said. "We've really eliminated the confusion that was traditionally associated with locating the right tip. Now, if the tip fits, it's the right one, period." The color coding is based on brand, not model. "According to our research, consumers don't know model numbers. With our color coding, they don't have to. An LED indicator lights up in the same color as the tip when they are compatible, matching the right tip to the laptop brand. It's a simple, easy-to-use system."
The enhanced simplicity applies not only to set-up, however. The purchasing decision is also made easier, due to an easy-to-read chart and easy-to-understand terminology on the adapter package. For example, the electrical term "AC/DC" has been replaced with "Wall," "Auto" and "Air". In addition, confusing wattage ratings have been eliminated. "We are using common terms such as Wall, Auto and Air, accompanied by easily understood icons." As a result, Graziotto added, "We've made both selection and set-up a snap."
A Unique Product Line to Meet the Consumer's Growing Need for Power
These new power adapters are focused on meeting the core needs of the mobile consumer. The 10 included laptop tips ensure out-of-the-box compatibility with the top selling laptop brands. The adapters with built-in USB power ports make it easier for the user to power up additional devices. With the adapter's USB port, for example, the consumer can charge both a laptop and a mobile device simultaneously. "With a USB power port, the adapter becomes a one-stop power solution," explained Graziotto.
- Kensington Wall/Auto/Air Notebook Power Adapter with USB Power Port (SKU K33403US) -- Not only does this power adapter work with your laptop, but it also powers your mobile devices, no matter where you are. This all-in-one design powers your laptop at your home/office, in the car or in the air. It also features a built-in USB power port for powering up additional devices with Kensington USB Power Tips (sold separately). Includes a wall plug, laptop power tips and a travel pouch. Suggested retail price: $139.99.
- Kensington Wall Notebook Power Adapter with USB Power Port (SKU K33402US) -- Providing reliable power for both laptops and mobile devices, the adapter features a built-in USB power port for charging your mobile phone, smartphone, iPod, MP3 player and more, using Kensington USB Power Tips (sold separately). Includes a wall plug, laptop power tips and a travel pouch. Suggested retail price: $99.99.
- Kensington Wall Notebook Power Adapter (SKU K33404US) -- Like the other new Kensington laptop power adapters, this adapter features color-coded laptop tips, with LED verification, for simplified set-up. Also, because they are compatible with most leading laptops, Kensington laptop power adapters provide the industry's best compatibility. Includes a wall plug and laptop power tips. Suggested retail price: $79.99.
- Kensington Auto Power Adapter with USB Power Port (SKU K33418US) -- Compact, simple and easy-to-use, the Kensington Auto Power Adapter with USB Power Port plugs into a cigarette lighter to power your mobile devices in your car. Simply swap in a Kensington USB Power Tip (sold separately), and this space-saving power adapter can replace multiple chargers. Suggested retail price: $9.99.
The 11 new USB Power Tip packs make it easy to power mobile devices. Use them with the new Kensington laptop power adapters, the USB port on your laptop, or the Kensington Auto Power Adapter. Included are five power tip packs specifically for mobile phones, three tips for PDAs/smartphones, two for media players and one for entertainment/games. Each pack includes a retractable USB cable. Suggested retail price: $14.99.
The Kensington USB Power Tip packs support the following brands:
- Mobile phones--Motorola®, Nokia®, Samsung®, LG and Sony® Ericsson
- PDAs/smartphones--Blackberry® and Palm®
- Media players--iPod® and Creative® MP3/media players
- Entertainment--Sony® PSP® and Nintendo® Game Boy®
Kensington is a leading provider of desktop and mobile device accessories, trusted by IT, educators, business and home office professionals around the world for more than 35 years. Kensington products empower people to dynamically interact with content, creating a better working experience for productive performance. In both office and mobile environments, Kensington’s extensive portfolio of award-winning products provides trusted security, desktop productivity innovations, and ergonomic well-being. Our core competencies in engineering, industrial design, product quality and responsive customer support make Kensington The Professionals’ Choice™.
Headquartered in San Mateo, California, Kensington operates as the technology division of ACCO Brands (NYSE: ACCO), one of the world’s largest designers, marketers and manufacturers of branded business, academic and consumer products, sold in more than 100 countries across the globe.
Kensington is the inventor and worldwide leader in laptop security locks, the acknowledged leader of Trackball innovation and offers a broad range of premium-branded desktop productivity solutions.